December 6, 2014

Christmas Bokeh


Last year I wanted SO badly to master the whole bokeh effect.  I tried with the equipment I had:


This was December 2013.  I was using my 18-50mm lens that came with my Nikon D3000.  I had just taken my first photography class (a 101, four hour class).  I could get the small bokeh, but the lighting wasn't right.  I wanted the fat bokeh!

But this year, I was ready.  I purchased more gear and have tons of practice under my belt.  I took this shot with my 24-70mm lens.  My aperture was 2.8 and used my speedlite.  If you would've asked me last year about a speedlite, Iwould've given you the "deer in headlights" look.


The bokeh is perfect!  It's fat and blends together.  The lighting is just right on the snowman.  I had to turn off the Auto Focus and switch to Manual.  Otherwise, the camera kept focusing on the tree and not the snowman.

Have you tried bokeh pics?



4 comments:

  1. I love this!! I really need to figure out my big girl camera! I'm giving you the "deer in the headlights look" about bokeh...much less speedlite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, I need a lesson on the vocabulary you shared but excited to check the lens and see what few I have and using often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Cheryl! :) I've been doing a lot of learning on Pinterest too. Here's a link to my photography board...lots of helpful tips on there! http://www.pinterest.com/danarichliew/cameraphotography-tips/

      Delete